[This post is a work in progress as part of the CAA Catechism.]
[Add the title only in the title field, not in the body of the post.]
Summary in 400 words or less:
Islam means submission to the will of Allah as revealed through their prophet Mohammed. It is a monotheistic faith based on the teachings of Mohammed, as compiled in their Holy Book ‘Quran’ and the traditions of their prophet called ‘Ahadis’.
The Shahada (creed) of Islam: “There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is the messenger of God”.
The Five Pillars of Islam includes
1.Recitation of Creed
4. Alms giving
Quran is a word for word reception of the Word of God. The variations in the number of chapters in the various editions constitutes a problem to the claim that Quran has been preserved word for word. It plainly indicates it is not and therefore is corrupted.
In Christianity, the monotheism is more qualified and sophisticated technically called Trinitarian Monotheism, where God is a fellowship of three as compared with Islam where God is absolute oneness. Islam also differs from Christianity in that it treats Jesus as just another prophet, calling him Isa, even though he is according to the Quran virgin born,performed miracles including raising the dead and will return a second time before the final judgment. But the Quran vehemently denies the death of Jesus on the cross and his subsequent resurrection which have been established as a facts of history and are core tenets of Christianity. Salvation in Islam is based on merit and God’s election as opposed to Christianity where it is based on grace. Jesus is the Saviour in Christianity whereas Muslims have to save themselves by their deeds.
Christians consider Mohammed a false prophet for the following reasons:
1. The certainty of Mohammed when he first received his revelations that it was a demonic attack and the convincing by first wife Khadija that it was divine revelation
2. His bowing down before the idols of the Quresh tribe and even claiming that their gods were intercessors with Allah.
3. Multiple wars and executions
4. Multiple marriages with females from all age groups ranging from 6 year old child to older women and even his own daughter-in law divorced by his adopted son based on special divine revelation.
5. Preaching a different Gospel  and threatening Christians who worshiped the true God.
Scripture for YouVersion:
Galatians 1:8 but even if we or a messenger out of heaven may proclaim good news to you different from what we did proclaim to you –anathema let him be! (Young’s Literal Translation)
Islam (Why I Am Not A Muslim) by Jonathan McLatchie
Three questions (one fill-in-the-blank, one multiple choice, and one discussion question):
1. In Islam, Jesus is called ——–.
2. Which of the following Islamic teaching contradict the gospel account about Jesus
- Virgin birth
- Second coming
3. What are the reasons for considering Mohammed as a false prophet?
References for further reading:
[ 1 ] Galatians 1:8 but even if we or a messenger out of heaven may proclaim good news to you different from what we did proclaim to you –anathema let him be! (Young’s Literal Translation)
Collaborators: Samuel Inbaraja, David Marshall, Z. E. Kendall
[Add your name here only if you have created this topic or contributed valuable content or editing to this topic.]
[Add a copyright-free, relevant image to the body of the post (click the Add Media button), as well as going back in and selecting it as the featured image.]
Type “YES” and contact Maryann when at least three collaborators agree this is ready to be shared with YouVersion: